Black Eyed Pea Soup - Happy New Year!

 











There are numerous stories explaining the tradition of eating Black Eyed Peas on New Year's Day.  A very interesting article was just published by Adrian Miller in Garden and Gun magazine on the history behind the tradition.  Interesting to me because I just wanted to add Collard Greens to my soup because I love them, but I didn't know until after reading Miller's article that adding greens to your soup is supposed to symbolize money and bring wealth and prosperity in the New Year.  That may or may not be true but to me they make them taste better.

I'll write this direction in the actual recipe but sautéing the Collard Greens (or Kale or whatever green you are in the mood to use) makes them taste better in the soup.  Just like sautéing the onions, carrots and celery prior to adding the brother makes them taste better than just having them boil away in the soup.  It makes a difference.  

I often make a Christmas Ham to accompany whatever else I'm making on Christmas Day and the leftover hambone is ideal to save to make this soup for New Year's.  

The night before I cook the Black Eyed Peas in the Ham Bone with water.   Before you put the ham bone in the water be sure to trim most of the good pieces of ham off the bone just leaving a few big chunks for flavor.

The next day I drain the peas (which I know some people with think I'm insane for throwing away that flavorful ham broth but I'm aiming for a lighter tasting soup made with chicken broth.  If I was just making a bowl of beans to eat I'd probably keep the ham liquid with the beans.

Also I made this recipe for catering so it is a larger recipe that makes 6 1/2 quarts of soup and uses 2 pounds of black eyes peas.  It can easily be cut in half to make a smaller version and I may write the smaller version after I get this first one down.


BLACK EYED PEA SOUP

Makes 6 1/2 quarts - This is a catering version so cut this in half if you'd like to make a smaller amount.


The night before or at least two hours before making the soup:

2 pounds Black Eyed Peas, rinsed

12 cups water

1 leftover ham bone 

 Cook over low heat until beans are tender.  High heat will make them tough.  So bring the beans to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low and cook over low heat. 


To make the soup:

3 tablespoons olive oil 

2 sweet onions or yellow onions, diced

1/2 teaspoon of Kosher Salt

4 celery stalks, diced

4 carrots, peeled and diced

3 1/2 to 4 quarts of Chicken Broth (14 to 16 cups of broth)  I either use homemade broth or Swanson's Natural Goodness Low Sodium Broth

1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

13 cups of cooked Black Eyed Peas (from the 2 pounds of dried beans above)

3 cups diced ham

2 bay leaves

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 bunch of collard greens, stemmed and cut into strips


Garnish with Crystal's Hot Sauce if you want even more heat but the red pepper flakes really give it a nice smooth heat.


Be sure you have a big enough pot to hold 6 1/2 quarts of soup.  (If not, then cut the recipe in half.)

In your large pot, add the olive oil and sauté the onions over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.  Sprinkle them with Kosher salt while they are cooking.  Add the celery and carrots and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes.  

Add the chicken broth, red pepper flakes, previously cooked black eyed peas, ham, and bay leaves.  Heat until boiling and then reduce heat to low.

In a separate frying pan or cast iron skillet, add two tablespoons olive oil and sauté the collard greens over high heat until slightly browned.  Sprinkle with Kosher salt if you wish.  Add the collard greens just before serving.

The soup should be spicy enough with the red pepper flakes but if you'd like a little more spice then garnish with Crystal Hot Sauce or the hot sauce of your choice.

Happy New Year and health and happiness to all!

Maili 






Comments

Popular Posts