Dutch Baby

 









No matter if you call them Dutch Babies, German Puffed Pancakes, Oven Pancakes, Yorkshire Pudding or Popovers I love them all!  I've been making one with apples since the 1990's and that Puffed Apple Pancake recipe is here.  (I do need need to remember to update the photo because I think it was taken with an iphone 1)

Even though some people call them Dutch Pancakes they are not like any of the pancakes you can get in the Netherlands.  So it is probably like the Pennsylvania Dutch where someone heard the German word for German " Deutsche" and misinterpreted it as "Dutch."  

In summer I love making them with fresh berries.  The funny, or not actually funny, part is that I wrote this recipe and I wrote in BOLD IN MY OWN RECIPE not to touch the handle of the cast iron pan or oven proof pan because it will burn you.  Of course I was smart enough to use a hot pad when I took it out of the oven but when I went to take it from the stove and put it back in the oven I forgot and grabbed the hot handle.  I was smart enough to immediately run it under cold eater and then grab and ice pack so my hand didn't blister.  You'd think after cooking professionally more than half of my lifetime that I wouldn't make such a basic mistake but I did.  So hopefully I'm made all the mistakes for you and you can learn not to repeat my mistakes!

With certain fruit: Peaches, Pears, Apples, etc. I cook the fruit before I put it in the pancake.  When I'm using fresh berries I don't cook the fruit.  


DUTCH BABIES

Serves 4

5 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of kosher salt or sea salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Powdered Sugar for sprinkling over the pancake

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2.  Heat a heavy 12-inch proof skillet in the oven for 5 minutes.  Cast Iron is best but you can use an ovenproof casserole or ovenproof ceramic baking dish if you prefer.  If using a skillet be sure the handle is oven proof (i.e not plastic.) Also, BE SURE TO USE AN OVEN MITT SO YOU DON'T BURN YOUR HAND ON THE METAL HANDLE.  Some people (ME!!) just grab the handle without remembering it will be scorching hot because it has been in the oven.

3.  In a the largest bowl you have, whisk the eggs until smooth. You want to get a good amount of air in them.  Gradually add the flour while continuing to whisk so there are no lumps. (Some people do this in a blender, but I'd rather wash a bowl then a blender, so I make it in a bowl.) Add milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt and whisk to form a smooth batter.

4.  Remove the skillet or casserole dish from the oven (WITH A HOTPAD) and set it over medium heat on the stovetop.  Add the butter and let it melt and then immediately pour all the pancake batter into the skillet.  Return the skillet to the oven and bake the pancake for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.  (Try not to open the oven to peek at it because then it will fall)

5.  Sprinkle the top with fresh berries and powdered sugar and serve immediately.


Comments

Chuck Bush said…
The Dutch Baby pancake recipe featured in this blog is an absolute delight! The step-by-step video lectures provide a perfect visual guide, making it easy for both novice and seasoned chefs to whip up this delicious treat. The blog beautifully captures the essence of creating the Dutch Baby, and the video lectures complement the written instructions seamlessly. The mouthwatering visuals make it impossible to resist trying out this pancake masterpiece.

Popular Posts