Beet Hummus


Beet Hummus garnished with 
Greek Feta, Persian Cucumbers and Lemon



My dear food friend, Justin Pace, made my Beet Hummus above 
and added a Mediterranean Salad to the top and took this great photo too.
So yummy!




I first made Beet Hummus for Kristen and BJ Walker's wedding on Labor Day weekend in 2018.  It was a special request of the bride and I loved the bright pop of color on the platter of vegetables.  (I actually loved their entire wedding menu so I'm sharing it at the end of this post and will eventually get all of the recipes from it up on my blog.)

I've made it again numerous times but most recently for a party I did in Palo Alto last month.  Basically it is just my regular lemon hummus with roasted red beets added.  Here is the thing.  I always oven roast my beets because I love the way they taste.  I was trying to help a friend with a shortcut for the hummus and wondered if pickled beets would work as a quick substitute instead of the roasted beets.  It DID NOT WORK AT ALL.  It was the most dreadful dreary muddy color instead of the vibrant bright pink.  So be sure to oven roast fresh beets for this recipe.  (I should do a side by side of both photos but the I dislike the second one so much I never want to see it again!)

You can make a recipes that calls for all beets but I absolutely love the taste of garbanzo beans in my hummus that I prefer a combo of both.


BEET HUMMUS

Makes 2 cups

2 garlic cloves

1 teaspoon Kosher salt

2 15.5 ounce cans Garbanzo Beans from Trader Joe's, drained

3/4 cup lemon juice (from the juice of 4 lemons)

3 tablespoons tahini

1/4 cup peeled, oven roasted beets, you can add more if you'd like a brighter color

2 tablespoons olive oil


1 tablespoon water, only if it needs it for a smoother consistency.


In a food processor whirl around the garlic cloves and salt together until it is minced.

Add the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, tahini, Kosher Salt, oven roasted beets and olive oil.

Process until smooth and until well combined.

If you need more liquid for smoother hummus add 1 tablespoon water.  



And here is kitchen copy of Kristin and BJ's wedding menu.  I'll put links where I can and will include a few photos at the end.  


KRISTIN KELLY & BJ WALKER

Santa Barbara Historical Museum

SEPTEMBER 1, 2018

 

 

 

Hors d’oeuvres- Stationed

 

RAW BAR

MORRO BAY PACIFIC GOLD OYSTERS

PACIFIC WHITE PRAWNS, DUNGENESS & SNOW CRAB

CUCUMBER & TRADITIONAL MIGNONETTE, HOT SAUCE, FRESH HORSERADISH

CITRUS SAUCE, LEMONS 

 

SANTA BARBARA FARMER’S MARKET CRUDITÉ STATION

SALSA VERDE, LEMON HUMMUS, BEET HUMMUS, BUTTERMILK RANCH

PITA BREAD

 

 

Hors d’oeuvres- Tray Passed

BRUSCHETTA MEDLEY

HEIRLOOM TOMATO, ROASTED GRAPE & GOAT CHEESE, MUSHROOM PARMESAN

 

CITRUS CEVICHE on MINI TOSTADAS

OPTIONAL HOT SAUCE

 

 

Family Style Dinner

 

First Course

GAZPACHO with avocado on top

HEIRLOOM TOMATOES, FINLEY FARM PEPPERS

 

Second Course- Family Style Salads

WATERMELON WITH FRENCH FETA & MINT

HONEY LIME DRIZZLE

 

ARUGULA, BEET, FARRO & PISTACHIO SALAD

PARMESAN & LEMON VINIAGRETTE

 

 

Second Course- Family Style Salads

 

OAK GRILLED BEEF TENDERLOIN

CHIMICHURRI SAUCE 

 

WHOLE BRANZINO WITH GRILLED LEMONS

 

GRILLED VEGETABLES

SWEET PEPPERS, SQUASH, ZUCCHINI, MUSHROOMS, CARROTS, CHERRY TOMATOES

 

PURPLE, PINK AND GOLDEN FINGERLING POTATOES

OLIVE OIL & FINE HERBS

 

WHOLE WHEAT AND WHITE EPI-BAGUETTES

Can be incorporated into centerpieces

Do they prefer Olive Oil or Butter or Both with the bread?

 


 

Dessert

 

MINI BLACKBERRY, BLUEBERRY, RASPBERRY AND PECAN PIES

 

MINI HAND PIES FOR TRAY PASSING

 

WHIPPED CREAM



photography Abby and Lauren


photography Abby and Lauren


photography Abby and Lauren


photography Abby and Lauren

Chico helping Rob on the Oak Grill
photography Abby and Lauren




photography Abby and Lauren



Branzino over Oak that I snapped with my iPhone!










Comments

Popular Posts