Brown Sugar, Orange and Honey Glazed Ham


Brown Sugar, Orange and Honey Glazed Ham
 
The Glaze is a simple mixture of Frozen Orange Juice,
Honey, Brown Sugar and either Allspice or Ground Cloves



I made this recipe up when I was in college.  I just through about what I thought would be good on a ham and threw it together and have been making it that way every since.  I love a Christmas Ham or Easter Ham but I honestly love ham so much that we eat it throughout the year.  And I use the leftover ham bone for various soups and the leftover ham for sandwiches, breakfast and quiche.

Growning up in California we almost always had fresh squeezed orange juice so this is one of the only times I used the frozen concentrate version but you need it because it is thick and you want to create a paste to put over the top of the ham.

Costco sells these presliced spiral hams but I've also made this recipe with whole hams that have not been sliced.  It works with either recipe.

I always have someone comment on how delicious the ham is and they are surprised the recipe is so easy.


BROWN SUGAR AND HONEY GLAZED HAM


1 ham (can be whole or spiral sliced.  If it is is not spiral sliced you can make a pattern of squares in the top layer of the fat and put whole cloves in each corner or just put the glaze on directly.)


For the glaze:

1 cup frozen orange juice concentrate 

1/2 cup brown sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)

1/2 cup honey

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or ground cloves


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.


Place the ham in an oven proof baking dish.

In a bowl mix together the frozen orange juice, brown sugar, honey and allspice or cloves.  If you like it sweeter you can add more brown sugar.

Spread the paste mixture over the top of the ham. 

Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges start to brown and the ham is heated through.  Remember that ham is already cured so your goal is to just get it hot enough to eat.


I use the leftover hambone to make split pea soup.  I'll post the link to that recipe at some point.  But I basically just put the dried split peas and some minced carrot in the slow cooker with the leftover ham bone and a few chunks of leftover ham and some water.  The salt from the ham will season the soup.  It's delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts