Lentil Salad with Carrots and Celery






LENTIL SALAD with CARROTS AND CELERY

I remember reading an article in Shape Magazine that said "Lentils are bonafide belly flatteners" and I always think of that every time I read them.  Lentils are packed with protein, fiber, iron, folate, potassium, magnesium, and Vitamin B-6.  This recipe is a variation on my Lentil Salad that I posted in 2013.  That recipe has caramelized onions in it.  Today, I was in a hurry today and didn't have time to sauté onions and deal with that part of the recipe.  I had carrots and celery I was snacking on in the morning and thought they would add something crunchy and interesting to the salad.  I absolutely loved it and decided it was worth reposting with the new recipe with changes.  If I had had some Persian cucumbers in my fridge I would have added those too.

I play around with this recipe every time I make it and use whatever is on hand.  So there are some optional ingredients listed in the recipe.  It is a great summer salad and perfect to bring to a potluck.



2 1/2 cups cold cooked lentils (Trader Joe's has great cooked ones if you don't want to cook your own)
2 carrots, chopped in small pieces
2 celery sticks, chopped in small pieces
Persian Cucumbers, optional
Arugula, optional
Feta Cheese, crumbled, optional
 
Dressing:
1/3 cup Olive Oil 
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced (do NOT add extra garlic or it will be too strong and bitter)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 bunch of Italian flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped


Combine the lentils, carrots and celery in a bowl.  In a separate bowl mix together the dressing and then pour over the lentil mixture and mix until well combined.







Comments

Popular Posts