Egg Salad, Fiddle Baked Eggs with Spinach, JOY CHOY

Dear Recipe Testers,

I hope all of you enjoyed Easter or Passover or just the lovely Spring weekend.  Spring is my most favorite season.  I love tulips and daffodils and all of the Spring flowers.  I love the trees in bloom.  Here in California, after all of the rain, Spring is when the hills are bright green and so gorgeous.  My girls make fun of me getting so excited about the green hills with the flowering mustard and all the beauty that makes me so happy. (and I know deep down even though they are making fun of me in a loving way way they have smiles on their faces that I find such JOY in the beauty.)  

I wanted to share some EGG recipes with you for those of you who may have leftover Easter Eggs or who just may love eggs in general.  Here is my Classic Egg Salad recipe from The Mad Hatter Tea Party:  http://themailifiles.blogspot.com/2010/07/mad-hatter-tea-party-egg-salad.html

Then for those looking to for something lighter or to lose a little weight after all of the chocolate here is the 


This is all making me realize I've never posted my Deviled Eggs recipes.  I need to do that soon.  In the meantime here is a slew of Deviled Egg Recipes http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Deviled-Egg-Recipes including this one from Michel Richard with White Masago Arare http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Michel-Richard-Deviled-Eggs?cmpid=rotd  

I am working on a number of recipes and hopefully once I get through the busy month of May I will be able to post quite a few recipes this summer.  I've learned a wonderful tip from my friend, Genevieve, on how to make THE BEST chicken broth.  I've always made my own stock and it was quite good, but hers was amazing and I had to know why.  The secret is TONS of fresh GINGER.  Far more than you would imagine.  It gives a wonderful spice and flavor to the broth and therefore makes any soup you are making that much better.  If you want to doctor up boxed chicken broth versus making your own from scratch just add chunks of fresh ginger root to it and boil it until the flavor is released into the stock.  And ginger has a myriad of health benefits so it is a wonderful way to add it to your diet as well. (I'll write full directions for the homemade stock soon.)

For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook you have seen the amazing way that JOY has continued to come up in my life daily.  I've had friends send pictures of the word JOY written in the sand on the north shore of Hawaii, another friend send a picture of JOY in the snow from upstate New York, JOY embroidered on Pillows, titles from book covers, wreathes in windows.  The gift is having all of these people share the JOY they have found with me and then I in turn can send it to others.  Perhaps, one of the most significant days is when I was very sad.  It seemed too trite to look for JOY.  Certainly this little word could not help heal the pain of that day.  I was at Jacob's farm and here he comes out of the field with this giant Bok Choy call JOY CHOY.  I've pasted a picture of me holding it below.  I had no makeup on that day and had spent part of the day crying and yet you can see the JOY I felt from the surprise of JOY finding me.

I'll end with two quotes about JOY 

"We can be unhappy about many things, but JOY can still be there... It is important to become aware that at every moment of our life we have an opportunity to choose JOY.  It is in the choice that our true freedom lies, and that freedom is, in the final analysis, the freedom to love."  -Henri J.M. Nouwen

"Life has its pains and evils--Its bitter disappointments; but like a good novel and in healthful length of days, there is infinite JOY in seeing the world, the most interesting of continued stories, unfold..."  --W.E.B. DuBois

Joy and Blessings to all of you,

Maili 

Holding the giant JOY CHOY (photography Hollye Jacobs)

Comments

Popular Posts