Fingerling Potatoes with Caviar and Creme Fraiche



These are the ultimate potato skins! Truly nothing better and worth the splurge. I will list caviar sources below.

When I make hors d'oeuvres I usually count on 2 1/2 per person. Even though no one really eats a half, some people just eat three and some eat only 2 so this formula seems to work whether I'm catering for 10 people or 200. I usually recommend a minimum of three different hors d'oeuvres for a small party. For weddings and larger parties you will want at least five options.

FINGERLING POTATOES WITH CAVIAR AND CREME FRAICHE
Serves 12

15 small fingerling potatoes
creme fraiche
2 ounces caviar
chives

Cook fingerling potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain. Slice in half.  Hollow out a tiny hole for the caviar on the top of the potato half.  On the bottom, slice a small piece off so that the potato will lay flat and not roll around on the tray.

Toss the potatoes in olive oil and kosher salt and put in a 400 degree oven until browned on top, about 12 minutes.  (2013 edit to the recipe:  When I've been making these recently I've skipped the boiling part and just tossed them in olive oil and kosher salt and then roasted them in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Either way works.)

While potatoes are cooking slice chives in one-inch pieces, slicing each end diagonally. (just because it looks prettier than a straight cut.)  2013 edit:  Recently I've been skipping the chive too because I just want to taste the luxurious caviar.  

Remove from oven and garnish with creme fraiche, caviar and one chive. Serve immediately.

If you are hosting your own party at home and not having servers pass trays then you can set the caviar in a bowl of ice and have the potatoes around it on a platter and the creme fraiche. And then your guests can just dip the potatoes in the creme fraiche and then spoon on the caviar.

Sources for Caviar:

If price is not a concern and you want the very very best then order from Petrossian. Beluga is banned in the United States so the highest quality caviar that can be imported here is Osetra. Petrossian will ship overnight or they have stores in Beverly Hills and New York. (They have Foie Gras and Truffles as well.)

Tsar Nicoulai Caviar are the pioneers of sustainable California Caviar. This is the caviar that they use at the French Laundry and the one I use fairly often. I do have some clients who will only eat the Petrossian.

Then I have a friend who recommended Kelly's Katch Caviar. I haven't had the chance to try it yet and will report back once I have tasted it.


Comments

Popular Posts