Vietnamese Beef Salad

I just went to Ryder's birthday party this afternoon. Nirasha (famous for the Orzo salad and one of my former Sous-Chef's) made this fabulous Vietnamese Beef Salad. I took a bunch of pictures, but I didn't take pictures of the salad and I wish I did so I could show you how she cut the cucumbers in these great chunks.

She didn't use as much Sambal chile paste as she usually does because of the kids, so use that to your preference. She also substituted pistachios for the peanuts, which reminded me of Frances Callan's pistachio cilantro potato salad that she used to make in Hawaii. Pistachios are great in salads!

I just had to share this right away. I had two helpings and am craving more!!

Maili


Maili,
Here is the recipe from off the top of my head. Not sure how accurate it is. I kind of NEVER follow recipes and i just use them as guidelines.
Love you!
Nirasha
Vietnamese Beef Salad
Serves 4

Dressing:
2 T sugar
3 T Asian fish sauce, (Nam Pla)
1/8 cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup Rice Vinegar
1 T Mirin
1-2 T Soy Sauce
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Sambal chile paste, or to liking
¼ Cup Olive or Peanut Oil

Pickled Onion:
½ medium red onion, sliced very thin
2 T Sugar
½ cup to 1 cup apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
Pinch of salt

Beef:
1 Flank Steak
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup Soy Sauce
¼ cup Dijon
Cracked Pepper & Sea Salt

Salad:
4 cups red &/or green cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
¼ mint, chopped
¼ basil, chopped
1 large cucumber, large dice
½ cup dry roasted pistachios, chopped
¼-1/2 cup crispy fried onions, (I get them from Asian market but French’s might work)
¼ cup cilantro
1 lime cut into 8 wedges

BEEF:
Mix all ingredients for beef and marinate for one hour. Grill for 4 minutes per side. Let rest then slice thin and set aside.

PICKLED ONION:
Mix sugar and vinegar together. Add thinly sliced onion and let pickle for about an hour.

Dressing:
Mix all ingredients together.

Salad:
Add all ingredients including salad stuff (except crispy fried onion & cilantro), finished beef, and pickled onions to a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Top with crispy fried onions and then cilantro. Serve immediately.


Comments

Popular Posts