Winter Citrus Salad





Blood Oranges, Valencia Oranges, Ruby Red Grapefruit 
waiting to be put on platters



For this party the meal was served family style on platters.  
They can easily be plated too.



One of my most favorite pictures taken by Blue Gabor 
when I was demonstrating how to peel a grapefruit.




I crave citrus in winter and eat grapefruit, blood oranges or satsumas daily.  I can't seem to get enough.  I make a number of different citrus salads in the winter including a lobster, grapefruit, ruby red and baby fennel one.  (I'm always meaning to post it but I don't think that I have yet.). What I will post is this salad that I made for a birthday party this past weekend.  It was so refreshing.

You may be shocked to see that turnips are one of the ingredients. Think of a turnip 

WINTER CITRUS SALAD
with Honey Lime Dressing


Blood Oranges
Ruby Red Grapefruit
Valencia or another sweet orange
Avocado
Watercress
Turnips, peeled and sliced in circles
Marcona Almonds, optional


Dressing:
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup honey
dash cayenne pepper


Make the dressing first.  Stir honey and lime juice until they are combined.  Add the dash of cayenne pepper.  It is very hot so be careful not to add too much.  

Make the salad:  Peel all citrus and slice into rounds.  Peel turnips and slice with a mandolin, knife or slicer into thin rounds or semi-circles.  Pick flat-leaf watercress.  Cut Avocado into slices.

Arrange on a platter.  Either make a bed of watercress or randomly arrange watercress on salad.  Sprinkle with almonds.  Drizzle with dressing.  








Comments

Popular Posts