Auntie Colleen's Buttermilk Biscuits




GOLDEN BROWN FLAKY BISCUITS
I love the layers!




Gently mixing the dough and then roll it out and fold it in half and half again and then roll that out with rolling pin get the layers above in the first photo. Try not to overwork the dough.  

Maili's note.  We now use all butter in place of the Crisco Shortening.  The original recipe called for 3/4 of a stick of Crisco and 1/2 cup of butter but after experimenting with lard and other fats we decided we loved butter the most so we use all butter.   

I was so sure that I had put this recipe up ages ago because it has been in our family forever.  I went to look for it last week when I had a friend ask me to make "Pigs in a Blanket" and it wasn't on the blog.  (I access my own recipes from my iphone all the time so this blog has been the perfect way to carry my own recipes with me.)

Maybe I never put it up on the blog because I don't have a picture to go with it.  Generally I make the classic biscuits using a round cutter, but during Valentine's or other for a shower I will use a heart cookie cutter.  The biscuit recipe can also be used in a number of other recipes from Biscuits and Gravy, to Bacon and Egg Biscuit Sandwiches, to miniature biscuits to go with ham for an afternoon party.  They are also perfect for "Pigs in a Blanket" which I either make with mini sausages or Nathan's hot dogs.  (We did a taste test on hot dogs and those won, but feel free to use your favorite hot dog.)  For the Pigs in a Blanket you roll the dough much thinner (see photo below)
and cut it into triangles and wrap it around the hot dogs or sausages.  Then brush the dough with and egg wash (beaten up egg) and pop in a 450 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.  I serve them with mustard because I love mustard.


AUNTIE COLLEEN'S BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

4 cups unbleached flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

     egg wash mixed with whole milk or cream for browning (I beaten egg with 1/2 cup milk)


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Mix all the the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Into the dry ingredients, cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  (The butter will be about the size of peas in the mixture.)

Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk all at once.  Stir just until the dough clings together.  Do not overmix.

On a slightly floured board knead the dough gently for about 10-12 strokes.  Roll or pat the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut with a shaped cookie cutter, a round biscuit cutter, or a glass dipped in flour.  If you don't have any of those you can cut it into squares with a knife.  (If you are making Pigs in a Blanket, then roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut it into long triangles.)

With a pastry brush, brush the biscuits with the egg wash.  Bake for 10 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet or until golden brown.











Comments

Popular Posts