"Shower the People You Love with Love" and The Cracked Pot








Recipe Testers,

Tonight I'm going to see James Taylor and Carole King with my Mom, Sister, Auntie Colleen and best friend to all of us: Syd.

James Taylor was always my mom's favorite so we listened to his music as kids and know every word to every song. I can't think of "Whenever I see Your Smiling Face" without thinking of my Mom. I know my nickname was Smiley Maili as a kid but I think I got all those smiles from my mom always smiling at us.

And right now I'm sitting here at the computer all choked up listening to the song that reminds me of my sister who I love so much and that is "Shower the People You Love with Love." For any of you that know my sister her entire being and person constantly showers all of us with love. There is no song that reminds me of her better than that. She is the living example of this song.

My Mom and sister and have gone to see James Taylor many many times in concert. I've never been able to go because every time he comes to the county bowl I'm on vacation somewhere or I was working or there was a major reason that I couldn't go yet again. But this year, I get to go and I'm looking forward to it so much and have my sister yet to thank again who got all the tickets for us to go together for my mom's birthday.

So if you'd like a little love showered on you today here is the link to the song:



And then I also wanted to share a story my friend, Teresa, sent to me. I don't often pass on forwards but this one really stuck with me. Flowers have such a deep and profound meaning for me because to me they feel like God Shining up on us saying "I'm here and I'm showering you with my beauty and Blessings" Flowers bring me such joy, even the simplest flowers. And right now the Jacaranda trees are starting to bloom and they are the equivalent of raining flowers. I'm always in search of trying to take a picture of a Jacaranda tree that captures how I feel about them. Or the gorgeous Japanese Magnolia Trees when they are in full bloom.

So here is the "Cracked Pot" story that Teresa sent to me.

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck.

One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.


At the end of the long walks from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.


For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water.


Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments.


But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it could only do half of what it had been made to do.


After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream.


'I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house.'


The old woman smiled, 'Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side?'


'That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them.'


For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table.

Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.'


Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.


You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the good in them.


So, to all of my cracked pot friends, have a great day and remember to smell the flowers on your side of the path!

And I'll end with another James Taylor favorite: "The Secret of Life is enjoying the passage of time...."


Sending Blessings to everyone on this rainy May day!

Maili

Comments

Popular Posts